I'd like to begin by stating that over the last 6 years I have had a mild problem with my thyroid being under active (hypothyroidism). It would sometimes swing from being slightly under active to normal again. It was not a big issue, and I did not need any medication. In July 2007, I made some changes to my diet. I included: iodised salt (on my food), salmon (I never used to eat fish, but I started to eat it a lot), among other things. I would also eat more eggs than usual. Another thing I added was Anlene milk (which I don't recommend unless you discuss it with your doctor first). I would drink 2 glasses daily for about 8 months now, and I believe it contributed to my current problem, even though my GP said its fine to drink it in the past.
Yesterday I went for a check up, and guess what? My thyroid was moderately overactive (hyperthyroidism) but the GP thought its more serious than the pathology reported, so much so, that the doctor recommended I take some medication to lower it. I declined. I tried to explain that I have changed some things in my diet but the GP did not listen. I know that Graves' disease is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism, but it does not mean that I have it, especially since I had made so many changes to my diet. The GP did not even want to let me try to cut out all the things I was eating that may be contributing to the problem, and then check my thyroid again after about a month or so, but I'm going to do it anyway, just to see if it works. So basically all I'm doing now is cutting out most of the things with iodine in my diet, and then I will go for another checkup in about a month. I cannot believe that the GP actually thinks my thyroid miraculously changed in 5 months to being fast after it was mildly slow for 6 years. I am not convinced about that at all. I think that it's all about business to them, and they do not care for the patient at all; only how many appointments they make so they will get paid. If you are wondering about what sort of symptoms I had, they include: very dry red skin (especially on the face), menstrual cycle changes (I would menstruate every 2 months instead of one), and fast heart rate.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Hyperthyroidism Scare
Posted by
Princess Of Yack
Labels:
Hyperthyroidism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Hope you will get better soon :(
Hi there! I just come across your blog today September 25, 2022. Hoping you're doing okay since this blog post was 14 years ago. I'm currently 27 years old and have a subclinical Hypothyroidism.
Same with your statement, I'm a bit reluctant to have my first ever maintenance medication in this young age of mine. I did my research, medications for thyroid like Levothyroxine will be lifetime and I don't want that. I also read that it may over treat or can do more harm than good if it's just mild.
So I wanna discuss with my specialist/ Endocrinologist if can it be reversible through dietary changes intended for hypothyroidism if there's any. Any update? :) Thank you!
Post a Comment